WHY I'M OBSESSED WITH SHABBY CHIC

00:46






Okay, so just to clarify, this is how I perceive Shabby Chic. In my mind, the 'shabby' refers to the item before it has been prepped, painted and preened, in its not-so pretty state. And the 'chic' refers to the item after it's been sanded, painted and generally glam'd up.

I am one of those people who get a buzz from saving money, but I also have very expensive taste when it comes to decor. I love luxury french and shabby-chic style furniture, and bit, by bit, I have been buying little gems that I have come across, on the cheap. Just today, I saw a gorgeous painted white french wooden table that I bought for 99p. Yep, 99p!! 

It's safe to say that lately I've been bitten by the 'up-cycling' bug. Up-cycling is where you sand, paint or do a little D.I.Y job on your old furniture, rather than buy it already 'shabby chic'd' for you. Not only does this knock off at least 70% of the actual price, but it also means you can put your own stamp on whatever you're making!




Kirstie Allsop's 'Fill Your House for Free' is undoubtedly to blame for this new obsession of mine. Although some of the decor and designs shown in the programme aren't necessarily to my taste, the concept of free or cheap furniture- which also happens to look a million bucks, is enough to entice anyone! I already plan on getting my boyfriend to help me sand down a pine table, and paint it antique white, to go in the living room. Little does he know, that's just the beginning of a long list of jobs!

I plan on doing the same with my bedside tables, and much, much more! Call me crazy, but I'm actually enjoying it. I'm a firm believer that fashion, beauty and decor go hand-in-hand, which is probably why I'm so in love with homeware, and always have been.

I love the neutral, beiges, whites and greys that are commonly used in french and shabby chic decor, as they are calming and fresh, and give the impression of space- which is ideal for someone like me, who wants to come home and immediately de-stress! I don't think I will go as far as to up-cycle everything I own, but I definitely plan to wherever I need to. Besides, I already change handles of wardrobes and drawers, if I don't like them, so it's not really that different.

The images in this post show how gorgeous french shabby chic can look when done correctly, which is what I'm striving for- it's just so cosy!






Kirstie's 'Fill Your House for Free' is currently being aired on Channel 4, I can't wait to see what ideas next week's episode will give me.

Thank you for reading.
xx



MORE LIKE THIS

0 comments